Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Book drunk



My writing has slowed down because I have been book drunk. If you are not familiar with the term book drunk, it is a time when you cannot get up from a book you are reading just as you cannot get off the floor if you are drunk. The book? It is Bertrand Russell’s A History of Western Philosophy. My paperback copy is from 1965. I first read this work when I was at the University of Minnesota, Duluth. I do not know how many times I have read it since then. I continue to read the first three parts of his work over and over again. They cover from the pre-Socratic’s to stoicism. It is very much like watching the basic thought patterns of our world forming. It is interesting to see the dead end canyons and the rivers of thought that continue to flow today. In my current novel series, the characters are in a similar time period. They too will explore that end canyons and create rivers of thought that will continue long after them.

No comments:

Post a Comment