Monday, October 27, 2014

First impressions – probably wrong


I was asked how well I know my characters when I start to write. I do a quick sketch of the main characters – probably not much more than 200 or 300 words. Other characters I have just a first impression of them, and it can prove to be wrong. I think I can offer you an example from the “real world.” Before my disability caught up with me, I was a landlord. Many of my tenants were college students. One day I met with a potential renter. She appeared to be just another college student. She looked young – I assume just a high school. She was very attractive and dressed casually. I showed her the apartment, and we sat down to talk. The apartment was much to her liking, but she said something that was very startling – “I am a murderer. You may not want to rent to me.” She explained that she had just gotten out of jail because she had just turned 18 and her crime was committed while she was still use a youth. She went on to explain she had killed a friend during an argument. They were arguing in a kitchen and she picked up a knife laying on the table and slashed her friend across the throat in anger. Before help could arrive her friend bled to death. It was obvious my first judgment of her had been wrong. I never would have thought the innocent little girl in front of me had such a startling past. I am sure some of you wonder if I rented to her. The answer is yes. Was she a good renter? No, she had problems with drugs, but that is another story. First impressions can be wrong in the “real world” as well as in the “writing world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment