Friday, September 26, 2014

How characters are named


I received a note asking how I had decided on the names for the characters in Bringer of Justice. I steal the bit from Dickens and often will name characters after an important characteristic they have or role they play in the novel. Our protagonist, Vir, name suggests virile. I think anyone who is read the novel will agree that he is a “manly man.” I should say that is without any of the negative connotations drawn today. The other name and Vir’s love interest is Kee. Her name is pronounced “key.” I think the readers of the novel will understand why she was given a name. I will leave it up to you to decipher what the names of other main characters suggest or mean. Have fun and let me know what your ideas are about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment